Conquering Rigaud

I completely lucked out today and managed to convice Adam to go for a hike! When we dropped Calli off at pre-school, I mentioned to her teacher that we were heading out for a hike up Rigaud Mountain and she and another mom told me how to get to a great spot to begin the hike. What luck!

The town of Rigaud from up on the mountain.



As you can see, Adam wasn't too thrilled to be heading out for a walk. He would tell you I dragged him along.



The parking lot is situated by this outdoor open air church which is faced with rows and rows of benches/pews. There is even a smaller building on the side for Confessionals. It was a bit creepy I must say, but Adam was far more creeped out by the whole thing.



We started towards the trail...



...and came across this statue.



As we got closer, we realised she is made of wood. The stone structure housing her is part of what we believe was an old granite foundry. I say "what we believe to be," because that's what we got from the French explanation at the bottom of the hill. I will do some research on Rigaud Mountain and get back to you on that one. I will also try to learn some more French and then I'll just know things when I read them!! Brilliant.



The path up the mountain was quite rocky, but lined with autumn leaves. It was a very warm day and the trail was quite busy! Marin enjoyed her time in the back pack and barked at all the dogs we saw on the trail.

We came across a few of these rock beds, but having no knowledge of what Rigaud Mountain used to do until we got to the bottom of the hill, we could only speculate as to the reason these rock beds were there. After getting to the bottom and seeing the pictures from back in the day, we saw that they had something to do with the granite... Unfortunately, the language barrier hinders me from relating the story.



The trees and colours were amazing.



I saw these two leaves on the trail exactly as you see them here and I thought it was pretty cool how they had landed beside each other showing the top and bottom of each leaf! Mother Nature leaves plenty of surprises if you look close enough!!



It was nice to be out and in nature with the peace and quiet!



To further creep Adam out, this cross was at the top of the mountain along with a nice wooden gazebo type structure. There were a few people up there having a picnic on some rocks, and we took in the 360 degree views from the gazebo.



It was really nice to have the views, but they don't make great pictures. We could actually see the city of Montreal from up there. Even though there aren't many mountains around, we could make out the Gatineau range towards Ottawa! We were also able to follow the St. Lawrence River from Montreal all the way out towards Ottawa! It was nice to have my pilot husband around to help me get my bearings!! He wasn't too thrilled by the view originally, but I figured out it's because he's always up in the sky and always seeing the view from above! For us ground dwellers, being up in a plane or up on a mountain is breathtaking. He did end up appreciating it after we talked it over and we agreed to go again in the near future. I imagine it'll only become more beautiful as fall wears on.



Adam at the top of the mountain having a quick break and taking in the amazing 360 degree views.



Marin and I admiring the view, before heading back down to pick Calli up from school!



Such a nice afternoon.

Comments

"E" squared said…
The views look amazing!!
Glad to hear that Adam started to appreciate his wonderful walk with his lovely wife and baby girl... it's not everyday you get to hang out with such beautiful ladies Adam!!!

Popular Posts