Barkerville Rush Relay

Last June, as I was driving across Canada from Quebec to Alberta with my amazing cousin, Michelle, she told me about a 100km relay running race from Quesnel to Barkerville, the Barkerville Rush Relay. We talked about it for quite a while and the next thing I knew I was gearing up to start training! I have trained since September with a number of setbacks, but I did the best I could. This past weekend, (May long weekend), we drove out to Quesnel and ran our race!

Michelle put together a fabulous team consisting of some of my cousins and 2 of my incredible Aunties! We also had a non-family member, but I think by the end of the first hour into our day, she was well on her way to becoming an honorary member.

Our day started early at 06:45 when we gathered at the Starting line and basked in the amazing adrenaline-fueled energy everyone was putting out!

Stella's Belles Auntie Marie, Janice, Stephanie, Michelle, Laura, Judy, Alexi, Jennilyn

About 15 minutes later, we were standing watching the first runners start their legs and cheering for Janice who bravely started off with an 8.5km uphill run.

Janice trying to remain calm

The racers starting off Stage 1.

There goes Janice!!

Our whole team rode along in one vehicle as a support car and as the cheering section! We were there to ensure no bears came out and scared our runners and also to provide water and moral support.

Auntie Marie and Alexi took the very back seats for a while.

Once Janice ran to the finish line of her stage, Steph took over for her 17.1km leg and provided all of us with inspiration at the apparent ease she showed while running up and down all of her hills!
Steph at the starting line before the day began.

Running like a pro...

Steph passing a colleague on the way...

Steph coming up on another runner to pass!!!

Steph passed off to Laura who also did a long run at 17.4km. Laura provided some great laughs for us throughout the day and some much needed inspirational pep talks. She ran a great run and made it look so easy....
Laura looking relaxed in the morning sun.

As we were stopping to provide support/water for Laura, she even went so far to ask how we were all doing in the truck!!! Such a funny lady!

Laura taking the hills on like nobody's business.


There she goes...

Laura passed off to Judy who ran Stage 4 consisting of a 17.1km uphill course.

Judy in the early morning sun before the race started.

Laura passing off to Judy

As Judy was running, Michelle was preparing for her leg of the race and had to be at the Stanley cemetery for the mass start of Stage 5. So we had 2 runners running at the same time!

Here is Auntie Marie giving Judy some water and relieving her of her warm sweater during her run. Alexi made sure to take some action shots of Judy while she was running.


It was SO very cold and windy while we were waiting for our runners. Michelles' lovely husband gave her his jacket to warm up with before she started her 12.5km run.

Here is the mass start of the Stage 5 runners. Michelle is there in the middle. My cousin Mike is the tall guy in the front with the camo shorts.


I didn't end up getting any photos of Michelle during her run as we went back to check on Judy and then the girls buzzed me up to my start line to prepare for my leg of the race!

Michelle coming in to the finish line of her leg of the race and getting ready to pass off to me!

I ran Stage 6 which was a nice 9.4km leg. I am not smiling here because I love it...I am smiling because Adam and Marin were cheering me on from the side of the road and my Mum and Calli kept driving by and encouraging me as well.

Here I am running beside Jack of Clubs lake on my way into Wells and further on to Barkerville.


Almost done....

Once I was came into Barkerville I passed off to Alexi who ran the grueling Stage 7 leg.

The full description of Alexi's leg on the BRR website is as follows: This leg is for the masochist on the team. The gravel streets of Barkerville narrow to a path gently rising to the courthouse at Richfield. Then a steep, steep climb to Summit Rock and beyond to the turnaround at the hut. You are almost guaranteed to encounter snow. You finish where you began.

Once Alexi was done we asked her how it was and she said, "I wouldn't recommend that to anyone....!!!"

Michelle giving me an after race pep talk!!

My Mum got these 2 photos of Alexi running back through Barkerville before passing off to her Mom, Auntie Marie who ran the last Stage of the race. Stage 8 from Barkerville back to Wells.

Go, Alexi, Go!!

Does it look like a ghost town??

I didn't get any photos of Auntie Marie running her leg because Adam had my camera. However, I know the other girls on my team got some, so hopefully I'll get a chance to post them once I get some copies!!

Auntie Marie in the early morning light before the start of the race.

I had such an amazing time training for and running this race. Never having run before, I was faced with some challenges physically and emotionally, but I pushed through it all and was so very proud of myself for completing this. I was ready to give up part way through my leg of the race, but I talked myself through it and had the wonderful support of my team who stopped to help me do some stretches in order to keep on going!

I especially want to thank Michelle for being so supportive, inspirational and motivational and for believing that I could actually do something like this, when I had stopped believing in myself. I am ready to re-challenge myself and do it again next year.

I also want to thank my wonderful husband for supporting me and for motivating me to get out there by joining me in my training, despite his hatred for running! I know it took a lot for you to put your shoes on and come out with me, but I truly appreciated your effort and it was just the type of motivation I needed to get going.

I'm so lucky to be part of an amazing family that would rise to such a challenge as the Barkerville Rush Relay and who would send weekly encouraging emails to each other in order to keep us all going! I hope we can all be teammates again soon! Thank you to all of you. I love you!

Comments

Unknown said…
Yay! Go bean go!
What music were you listenning to?
pauline said…
So proud of you Jennilynnie! It was great to see all of you do so well and pouring your heart and souls into it all. I think there will be a few more family members wanting to participate next year.

Popular Posts